Some say identity theft protection services use scare tactics to sell their products … who needs it, right?
When more than 11 million people become identity theft victims in a single year, and when data breaches compromise 280 million records in a single year, the answer to the question of who needs identity theft protection service is: everyone. Those numbers came from Javelin Strategy and Research and Verizon Business, not some identity theft service. If you’ve been thinking about getting identity theft protection, think about that.
We’ve put together some information about LifeLock, an identity theft service with more than 1.6 million members, and Intelius, a public records data company that specializes in background checks for employers and users of online-dating services, and identity theft protection.
LifeLock and Intelius: How they’re similar
- LifeLock and Intelius request that members’ names be removed from junk mail and pre-approved credit card offers.
- LifeLock and Intelius assist members in requesting annual credit reports.
LifeLock and Intelius: How they’re different
- LifeLock has been Better Business Bureau accredited since May 19, 2005, and has an A+ rating; Intelius is no longer BBB accredited. The BBB received 1,285 complaints from dissatisfied Intelius customers within the last 36-month period, compared to 54 complaints from LifeLock members within the same 36-month period, all of which were resolved to the consumers’ satisfaction.
- LifeLock provides WalletLock™ to its members so that if members’ wallets are lost or stolen, they can contact WalletLock™ Specialists 24 hours a day, everyday to help them cancel and replace any documents that place members at risk of identity theft or credit fraud, including driver’s licenses, Social Security cards, checkbooks, passports, credit cards, bankcards and insurance cards. Intelius doesn’t.
- LifeLock protects members with TrueAddress™, verifying any address changes are submitted by members and not by identity thieves who would receive their victims’ mail. Intelius doesn’t.
- LifeLock protects members with Command Center™, a comprehensive suite of a half-dozen protective services, including a search of sex offender registries. Sex offenders are required to register with law enforcement agencies, but, to avoid supervision, they sometimes steal another’s address and register using that. LifeLock gives members a list of all sex offenders who’ve given addresses within a member’s zip code, so they know who the offenders are and where they live. Intelius doesn’t.
- LifeLock backs its services with a $1 million total service guarantee; Intelius doesn’t.
What they charge
- LifeLock charges $10 a month for adults. Use the LifeLock promotion code DEFENSE and pay only $9 a month for adults and receive 30 days free.
- LifeLock charges $2.50 a month for children and students. Use the LifeLock promotion code DEFENSE and pay only $$2.25 a month for children and students and receive 30 days free.
- Enroll in LifeLock Command Center and receive all LifeLock services for $15 a month. Use the LifeLock promotion code DEFENSE and receive a 10% discount AND 30 days free.
- Intelius charges $19.95 a month.
Click here now to learn more about LifeLock’s extensive identity theft protection services. Enroll using the LifeLock promo code DEFENSE to receive discounts and 30 days of free services.